[rsbac] RSBAC and Linux distribution upgrades

Patrique Wolfrum Patrique.Wolfrum at vwl.uni-freiburg.de
Mon May 30 11:55:16 CEST 2005

Hello,

to those who helped me by mailing hints for upgrading a linux system
with RSBAC: Thank you very much :-) .

I have done the upgrading-process on our backup-server (which is
officially not online - so noone will miss it ;-) ), and it went quite
well so far. The RSBAC version is still 1.2.4 (which we used also with
the" old" 2.4.29 kernel). The system boots with the RSBAC maintenance
kernel without problems, but using the RSBAC admintools (recompiled
under the new kernel (fresh install)), we can't access our RC-Roles and
RC-FDs. There is only a dialog popping up, that we should choose the
role to edit (and a input field), but rsbac_admin doesn't see the
existing rules.
Also rsbac_admin has problems accessing the stored user-data (the passwd
can be read, but we can't access the rsbac-settings for the users).
When we try to access these functions, we can read the following
error-message for a very short time (appears beneath the
RSBAC-"window"): "Error: Die angeforderte Funktion ist nicht
implementiert" (translates as "Error: Requested Function is not
implemented").

The kernel-settings for RSBAC are similar to that of the old kernel, and
besides of the linux-upgrade there haven't been any changes to the
system. For testing purposes, we have also used the
RSBAC-kernel-settings of another server, which runs under SuSE Linux 9.1
(with kernel 2.6.10) and RSBAC 1.2.3; it didn't change the behaviour of
RSBAC.

Until now we haven't restored the RSBAC backup-file, because of the
existing problems (and, as far as I understand RSBAC, the settings
shouldn't have been touched by the upgrading process since the
partitions weren't changed).

After several kernel-recompilations and reinstallations of the
admin-tools I am now quite at a loss.

Can someone please give me a hint, how to fix this behaviour ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards.
    Patrique Wolfrum

--
Patrique Wolfrum
Administrator - Fakultätsserver

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg im Breisgau
Institut für allgemeine Wirtschaftsforschung
Abteilung für Wirtschaftsinformatik
Kollegiengebäude II
Platz der Alten Synagoge
79085 Freiburg