[rsbac] RSBAC and Linux distribution upgrades

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Mon May 30 12:20:25 CEST 2005

On Montag 30 Mai 2005 11:55, Patrique Wolfrum wrote:
> the" old" 2.4.29 kernel). The system boots with the RSBAC
maintenance
> kernel without problems, but using the RSBAC admintools (recompiled
> under the new kernel (fresh install)), we can't access our RC-Roles
and
> RC-FDs. There is only a dialog popping up, that we should choose the
> role to edit (and a input field), but rsbac_admin doesn't see the
> existing rules.

This only happens, if rc_get_item was unable to read the list of
roles. Does /proc/rsbac-info/stats_rc show correct numbers of roles
and types?

> Also rsbac_admin has problems accessing the stored user-data (the
passwd
> can be read, but we can't access the rsbac-settings for the users).
> When we try to access these functions, we can read the following
> error-message for a very short time (appears beneath the
> RSBAC-"window"): "Error: Die angeforderte Funktion ist nicht
> implementiert" (translates as "Error: Requested Function is not
> implemented").

This looks like there was a problem with system call numbers. Are you
sure you compiled the tools against the correct kernel sources, after
at least starting a kernel compile? Is it possible that you have an
old and incompatible version of the tools or the librsbac lying
around somewhere?

> Until now we haven't restored the RSBAC backup-file, because of the
> existing problems (and, as far as I understand RSBAC, the settings
> shouldn't have been touched by the upgrading process since the
> partitions weren't changed).

Correct, it would not work.

> After several kernel-recompilations and reinstallations of the
> admin-tools I am now quite at a loss.

First we need to know whether the kernel has correct data (from /proc
interface). Just to make sure: This is i386 arch? I cannot remember
ATM.