[rsbac] Forum

Paul D. Robertson proberts at patriot.net
Fri Apr 17 15:58:59 CEST 2009

Amon Ott wrote:

> - The forum is hosted in a virtual server forum.rsbac.org. If Paul is still
> willing to set it up and maintain it technically, I would gladly accept this
> offer and support him at the server side. If we feel daring and find more
> people, we could make it more general and call it forum.kernelsecurity.org
> with general and RSBAC topics seperated (yes, we own that domain. :).

I'd think that making it more general would be a good idea.  I generally
use SMF as I find it to be as good as the commercial forum packages.  It
needs MySQL and PHP- about the only thing you can't do from the admin
interface is back up user-submitted images (avatars if allowed and
images embedded in posts that are uploaded to the server.)  Are you
proposing hosting it?  I can host it, but all my hosting is on
Virtuozzo-based VPSes, so they're not RSBAC'd- I can set up a forum on
one over the weekend, or early next week- or if you wish to host, we can
coordinate that.

I'd suggest the following main boards:

General Trusted Computing Base
RSBAC
SeLinux
TrustedBSD/Darwin
Other Trusted Operating Systems

With appropriate sub-boards under that- perhaps News,
Configurations/Tips, and Assistance to start.

I'm assuming AppArmor is dead and going too much further will just be
lots of emptiness, which isn't good, and starting up at LSM would bury
things too much- we can always rework the tree after getting enough
traction.

As part of the administration, I'd do regular database backups, deal
with registration issues/problems, keep the software up to date, make
any structural changes, ban spammers, and provide any other general
forum admin tasks.

> - Posting is only allowed after registration, read access is free. Condition
> for registration is that people accept the usual conditions, e.g. that we
> keep the right to delete inappropiate postings and that all content may be
> used in the official RSBAC documentation with a free license

SMF supports this well, and the anti-spammer captcha is generally pretty
good spammers actually end up having to manually register- I think I had
about twelve incidents over a two-three year period, and once I'd banned
the offending user/email/IP a couple of times they gave up.  It also
supports things like limiting private messages for people who haven't
made many postings.

> - At least two people volunteer to moderate the forum. This means that they
> keep a regular eye on all postings and block or remove inapropiate stuff and
> feel responsible for everything. These volunteers should be none of kang,
> michal and me, we are too busy developing.

Depending on volume, I find it takes 5-10 minutes a day and I'd say that
two people would be great- the last forum I moderated (for a client-
commercial stuff) took only ~5m a day and users generally reported spam
the days I hadn't gotten to it yet.  I'd be happy to fill one of the
moderator slots.

> - At least one volunteer tracks tipps and solutions in the forum and compiles
> them into official documentation at www.rsbac.org. Frequent questions go into
> a FAQ at www.rsbac.org. When the answer is officially in docs, the forum
> thread is finished with a link to it.

This is very difficult- even with a commercial client with paid
employees, meeting this goal wasn't done.  My "solution" to this was to
have a read-only board that postings could be moved to once they were
considered dead if they were the kind of thing that was a tip/trick.

> - If the forum does not work out, I would rather close it down than keep a
> dead forum. This includes inactive or missing moderators, because we are
> legally responsible for postings.

Yep, it takes up to six months to get enough critical mass to make a
forum work- assuming it's not very active after about six months that's
where I'd probably put it out of its misery.  I'm not sure what it's
like in the EU, in the US my impression (I'm not a lawyer) is that
you're generally only responsible for content if you edit postings or
fail to remove someone else's intellectual property or contraband images
(reference is a case outcome known generally as "The Prodigy decision.")

Paul
--
Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts at patriot.net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."