[rsbac] RSBAC 1.3.0 released

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Thu Oct 26 09:07:58 CEST 2006

On Samstag 14 Oktober 2006 22:55, Vincent Danen wrote:
> * Amon Ott <ao at rsbac.org> [2006-10-12 12:42:26 +0200]:
>
> > RSBAC 1.3.0 has been released for both kernels 2.4.33.3 and
2.6.18.

> Out of curiousity, it seems as though the 2.6.16 branch has been
chosen
> as the "stable" branch and seems to (at least so far) be well
> maintained.  Are there any plans or the possibility of having a set
of
> RSBAC patches for 2.6.16 with the latest RSBAC version?

For now, you can use the 1.2.7 patch with the 1.2.8 tarball and 1.2.8
tools. We can check for important changes, but there should not be
much.

As maintaining yet another kernel tree would be significant extra
work, we will have to think about it.

> The reason I ask is that some of us are getting tired of the moving
> target that is today's Linux kernel, and it looks like standardizing
on
> 2.6.16 is our best chance to have a "stable and supported" 2.6
kernel
> without enduring API changes and other silliness between versions.
>
> Considering the application and usage of RSBAC, perhaps maintaining
> set of patches against 2.6.16 would be of use to more people (who
want
> a stable kernel, but the latest RSBAC).

As stated several times before, I fully agree that 2.6 as it is now is
a moving target which changes way too fast to be stable and secure
enough. The often daily security updates have proven this. As
company, we only use 2.4 kernels for production, because we do not
trust 2.6.

If there is significant demand, there is sure some way to maintain
RSBAC for the 2.6.16 stable tree. 1.3 would have to be backported for
this first.