[rsbac] Critical bug in PaX, please update!

murf murf at post.cz
Sun Mar 6 17:47:38 CET 2005

Hi!

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 15:40:58 +0000
Deim Ágoston <ago at lsc.hu> wrote:

> >AFAIK Its true that PAX will be terminated, but somebody
> >will continue - spender or anyone blessed by pipacs.
> >

> hmmm. I hear the sounds of CSO-s who wanted exec-shield because it's
> "official" in RHEL kernel while PaX wasn't... Some of the guys here in
> Hungary think that's only a joke but I don't think so -

I dont know who CSO is and dont care about comercial company
like RedHat. You can choose of another distribution.

> similar happened
> to deadly.org last year.

The problem is that deadly.org was only web project of some
information around OpenBSD, but PAX cann't be taken over so easily,
because of its nature.

>Anyway: is there a real chance to see RSBAC in
> the mainstream kernel sooner or later? I know and understand the
> feelings of Amon against LSM but right now I only have the chance to
> work with RSBAC in my private life.

I think, that there is a chance. You can remember replacement
of packet filter in linux kernel for two or three times or vm code.
(please correct here, if i'm wrong)

> Yes, SELinux is officially in the
> RHEL kernel and the companies are looking for an untouched vendor kernel
> because of official support and support for Oracle etc.

Its a business point of view. The kernel is still only one, some vendors
add some patches, thats all. It is still open source.
Yea, I know - "what about testing kernel that is called stable".
Is someone behind that :-?

> I woiuld be
> happy if there would be a backdoor to include RSBAC in kernel.org
> kernels. But that's just me :-)

I dont think that by discovering backdoor in a kernel someone would
include RSBAC in the mainline kernel tree. There have to be some
enfocement to the developers of the kernel to change their behaviour.

regards,

murf