[rsbac] Strange random errors

Rafal Bisingier ravbc at man.poznan.pl
Wed Jul 13 11:23:53 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:10:44PM +0200, Murf wrote:
> Could you please recompile this kernel with RSBAC switch off
> and with PAX switch off. The same with RSBAC switch on and
> PAX switch off. Than please report, what will happen.
> Also it would be nice to backup your .config and
> download and unpack the kernel one more time.
> Than restore config. Just for sure.
>
> Are we talking about
> http://fixed.rsbac.mprivacy-update.de/linux-2.6.11-rsbac-v1.2.4-pax-20050613.tar.bz2
> ?
>
> Have you been tried another version without pax?

Well, I can't switch of RSBAC, but I have some ideas what is wrong. I
feel realy stupid now, but it looks like the problem was between chair
and monitor ;-) This is what happend:
I have build kernel with support for PAX and CAP modules. I know that
PAX module is only a administration helper, and one need to enable PAX
in kernel to use it. When I've gone to security options to enable PAX,
I've found "Enable different security models" option and there "Default
Linux Capabilities". And I thought that it should be exactly like with
PAX, so I enabled this one.
Now I compiled new kernel, this time without PAX:
http://download.rsbac.org/kernels/v1.2.4/linux-2.6.11-rsbac-v1.2.4-bf7.tar.bz2
and I left this "Enable different security models" switched off.
This resolves the problem, so I'm not sure if this is PAX related, but I
don't think so.

I'm realy sorry for making so big noise about this imaginated bug. :-(

Thank you all for support.

--
Rafal Bisingier