[rsbac] Problem with RSBAC and PAX (Kernel 2.4.26)

Patrique Wolfrum Patrique.Wolfrum at vwl.uni-freiburg.de
Sat Jun 12 19:33:22 CEST 2004

Hello,

I have the following problem with my system:

Usually once in a few weeks, the system completely freezes (screen
blank, no response at all), so it has to be restarted (especially
annoying when it happends on weekends). After the restart, there are no
log-entries, which could give a clue, what exactly happened. Also the
crashes are random, so the cause of the crashes couldn't be traced back
to a single program. The system is based on Suse 8.2, enhanced with
RSBAC 1.22 and Pax (actual patch).

Has anyone else seen this behaviour on his system ?

The system we use consists of (based on an IBM xSeries 235 server):

2 * Intel Xeon 3,06 GHz
2 GB RAM
3 SCSI HDDs (linked with a RAID 5 (onboard SCSI Controller))
Broadcom onboard Gigabit-Ethernet card (working with the kernel driver,
not the module)
Additional Adaptec SCSI controller for an external HP Ultirum tape drive
APC Smart-UPS (connected via USB)

The kernel is based on the prepatched 2.4.26 kernel from Amon Ott and
patched with the actual Pax patch. It is monolithic, so that neither
modules are needed or can be loaded.

I would be very happy for any hint, that would help me to find the cause
of these crashes.

Thank you very much in advance.

With best regards.
    Patrique Wolfrum

--
Patrique Wolfrum
Administrator - Fakultätsserver

Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg im Breisgau
Institut für allgemeine Wirtschaftsforschung
Abteilung für Wirtschaftsinformatik
Kollegiengebäude II
Platz der Alten Synagoge
79085 Freiburg