[rsbac] CAP learning mode and RC learning mode

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Wed Sep 30 11:00:01 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 wrote Amon Ott:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2009 wrote Javier J. Martínez Cabezón:
> > Hi amon, thanks for your answer and thanks for CAP learning mode, in
> > RC learning mode users should take it just as a starting point after
> > analize their system and setting the necessary roles and types and we
> > could advice it, RC learning mode will add necessary rights to the new
> > created role to the necessary types (it will save a lot of time of
> > review logs looking for DENIED AEF answers). We could add an advise to
> > the user to be careful with the policies generated at this way.
>
> Just had the idea that RC learning mode could be enabled per role, so you
> will only mess up single roles. E.g. create a new role and let it learn the
> rights to your existing types.

Current svn now also contains a simple, global RC learning mode. Kernel
parameter rsbac_rc_learn will set all missing rights of all existing roles to
types.

Of course, all learning modes are strictly optional, disabled in kernel config
by default and turned off by default.

Learning mode per role is planned, but needs a new on-disk version of the role
list, so there is no way back to a previous RSBAC version. This means that it
probably goes into a new RSBAC 1.5 only. Alternatively, we could split the
role list into two, adding some small overhead if learning is enabled and
adding a set of extra functions to access the new list.