[rsbac] HELP text for kernel compile options

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Mon Mar 12 09:38:49 CET 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 13:37, Tuan TRINH wrote:
> I'm studying the kernel compile options of RSBAC, there are some
> options don't have HELP text to explain what do they do? Do you
> know any where to get docs concern this?
> For now, I don't know what does CONFIG_RSBAC_LIST_TRANS do? I'm
> using rsbac version 1.2.6 with kernel 2.6.16-18.

The latest help texts for 1.3 are at
http://svn.rsbac.org/?do=view&project=rsbac-2.6&path=/branches/rsbac-1.3/rsbac/Kconfig

This is the current CONFIG_RSBAC_LIST_TRANS  help text in 1.3.2-rc:
	  This option enables support for RSBAC configuration transactions.
	  RSBAC transactions are a set of temporary changes within a list
that
	  are either commited or forgotten.

	  Any user can start a transaction with the rsbac_list_ta() syscall
	  (e.g. via the rsbac_list_ta admin tool), and use the returned
	  transaction number for further administration calls which collect a
	  set of allowed changes.

	  When finished, a simple commit through rsbac_list_ta applies all
these
	  changes atomically to the system, while the forget command or a
	  transaction timeout (see next option) remove the complete set of
	  proposes changes.

	  The number of transactions in parallel is not limited, but each
list,
	  which has been changed by one transaction, is locked against
changes
	  by all other transactions. Such change attempts return the error
	  -RSBAC_EBUSY, while using invalid transaction numbers returns the
	  error -RSBAC_EINVALIDTRANSACTION. This means that when using
	  transactions, both error codes should be checked for each call.
When
	  a list is BUSY, it is the user's choice to retry later, forget all
	  changes or leave it as it is.

	  Changes with transaction number 0 (no transaction) and automatic
	  changes by the system always affect both the real lists and all
	  transaction lists.