[rsbac] UM can't set passwords - strange symptoms

Sven Seeland Sven.Seeland at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 11:52:48 CEST 2007

Hmm, I'm kindof in a bind here. First of all I must say that I'm no kernel expert I am in no way an experienced Linux Admin. I'm doing this as a hobby but I still want my server to be reasonably safe.
However, I'm relying on several features that are (as far as I know) exclusive to 2.6. Namely udev, lvm2 and alsa (and possibly more).

I'm also using Gentoo and it looks like it defaults to 2.6 now. You *can* make it run on 2.4, but it requires a good bit of work and system knowledge and I currently don't really feel up to the task.
Also, the server doubles as a media center. Not a good combination to put a hardened webserver and a media center on the same machine, I know, but I only have one computer at my disposal so it's gotta do both jobs. And I'm afraid that running either part of the server in a virtualized environment (e.g. on virtualbox) will hurt performance badly.

Any advice?

Interestingly, the password bug hasn't occurred on the new setup yet.

Anyways, I'll stay tuned for the update and hope it trickles down the Gentoo pipeline soon.

Greetings,
Sven

-------- Original-Nachricht --------