[rsbac] sshd problems

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Wed Apr 11 10:57:24 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 10:39, Sven Seeland wrote:
> I turned off privilege seperation and it didn't help. I can't say
> for sure but it seems like the (priviliged) parent process is now
> doing the communication and after authentication spawns a process
> for setuid. So the authentication and the setuid are still in
> different processes. I'm considering turning privilige seperation
> back on again and imposing only very, very loose restrictions on it
> with RSBAC, trusting it to be a secure program... I really don't

Please try the attached patch to get last_auth inherited to the child
process. It is already in svn. Maybe it solves the problem.

> Maybe I'll restrict SSHD to setuid only to a range of unpriviliged
> accounts (for up- and downloading) and one login account, which is
> then in turn privileged to setuid to secoff. Not great but it's a
> start. Any better ideas?

We are using SSH keys instead of passwords. root and secoff logins are
only allowed for one hour, after another admin enabled them. It is
solved with a ttl limited AUTH cap.