[rsbac] help please with compiling erros with linux-2.6.7-rsbac-v1.2.3-bf1-pax-200406201350

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Sun Jun 27 11:16:03 CEST 2004

On Samstag, 26. Juni 2004 19:34, Matthias Jaenichen wrote:
> > > problems ..."
> > >
> > > I have been using the latest Debian testing compiler here for a
while, gcc
> > > 3.3. My server systems are all running 2.4 kernels, compiled with a
GCC
> > > 2.95 - I am not running 2.6 kernels on critical systems, at least not
yet.

> > > As far as I remember, some 2.6 kernels did not even compile properly
with
> > > 2.95.

> >2.95 compilers are ok, but only for older systems. new glibc will not
> >compile with anything from 2.xx line. do not use 2.96 - it is broken
> >redhat version. from 3.x line - 3.3.3 and up are better choice than
> >anything other version and are recomended system compiler (kernel docs
> >are outdated here). 3.4 version - sometimes produces "faster" code but
can
> >be quite buggy for now. so i would advice using gcc-3.3.3 or gcc-3.3.4
for
> >now.
>
> Did anyone try the Intel-Compiler? It is said to produce the fastest
code.
> And it should be compatible with GCC.

The Intel Compiler is not compatible enough to compile the kernel out of
the box. In a recent German Linux Magazin article someone described all
the changes he had to make to get it compiled. A major problem are
different command line switches. He measured a few percent performance
gain in some kernel functions, but not in all.