[rsbac] RSBAC and initrd

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Wed Feb 11 09:59:36 CET 2004

On Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2004 09:18, Nicola Gatta wrote:
> I recently compiled a Linux kernel 2.4.24 with RSBAC v1.2.2.
> I usually compile kernels with initrd, and in booting the newly
> created RSBAC kernel I got and error:
>
> do_umount() [sys_umount()]: umount failed -> calling rsbac_mount for
> Device 01:00
> umount: /initrd: device is busy
>
> I'm sure it's not a problem with RSBAC privilege because there's no
> "NOT_GRANTED by " on the screen, in the log or in /proc/rsbac-info/rmsg

This is a known problem, I will try to fix it soon. I do not use initrd
myself, because it causes troubles again and again. :(

> I tested the kernel on a Debian Woody and on a Mandrake 9.2 with the same
>  results.
>
> I run lsof and infact there are some open files in initrd.
> # lsof | grep initrd
> rsbacd  30  root  txt    REG  1,0   70104  17 /initrd/bin/mount
> rsbacd  30  root  mem    REG  1,0   90210  27 /initrd/lib/ld-linux.so.2
> rsbacd  30  root  mem    REG  1,0 1153784  28 /initrd/lib/libc.so.6
> rsbacd  30  root    0u   CHR  5,1          21 /initrd/dev/console
> rsbacd  30  root    1u   CHR  5,1          21 /initrd/dev/console
> rsbacd  30  root    2u   CHR  5,1          21 /initrd/dev/console

This is really strange, rsbacd should not have these files open.

I made the attached bugfix patch some time ago, which was supposed to fix the
initrd umount problem, but this looks like a different case.

It looks like rsbacd had been started through mount, but the mount program did
not finish because of the rsbacd.

Does the attached patch rsbacd.diff against aci_data_structures.c help?