[rsbac] RSBAC & Molnar Ingo's ExecShield

Michal Purzynski albeiro at zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl
Mon Dec 6 23:14:32 CET 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Deim Agoston wrote:

> hi all,
>
> does anybody use both at the same time? As PaX team doesn't seems to
> provide "official" stable releases for newer kernels in 2.6 series I
> would like to be sure that I have an emergency plan if I have to uprade
> kernel and/or os and have to use memory protection against overflows etc.
> And I don't want to experience the usage of this combination then.

PaX team does not provide official support for 2.6 kernel considering them
unstable development version. Emergency like this - moving from PaX to
ExecShield and back will only calm down you but will not provide any
security. That is because ExecShield protections can be bypassed and ways
of doing this are known. It is advised to stay with stable series (2.4
kernels) on most important machines.

Albeiro