[rsbac] Upgrading from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Thu Aug 12 09:00:43 CEST 2004

On Mittwoch, 11. August 2004 17:26, Patrique Wolfrum wrote:
> >Generally, I recommend to enable softmode in RSBAC kernel config
and
> >boot with softmode on the first boot. If you want to be sure that
you
> >can easily return to the previous kernel, use rsbac_debug_no_write
> >kernel parameter for the first boot.
>
> I tried it this way (fortunately we don't use initrd since our
kernel is
> monolithic and doesn't need any modules), everything went fine until
the
> init-process was completed and the login-prompt was supposed to show
up.
> It didn't show up (so no login was possible) and shortly after that,
the
> system hanged completely.
>
> I used the following kernel options:
> rsbac_softmode
> rsbac_debug_no_write
>
> For the compilation of the kernel I used the old settings (copy the
> .config of the old kernel to the new and 'make oldconfig').
> The basis of our system is Suse Linux 8.2.

What kernel version did you try, 2.4.27?

> Switched back to the old kernel (rsbac 1.2.2) and everything works
again.

What version is this, 2.4.26? Could you retry v1.2.3 with 2.4.26?

> Do you have an idea what could cause this strange behaviour of  the
> 1.2.3 version ?

No, not really. Do you have any log messages for me? Maybe a copy of
the RSBAC init messages?

It may be that there was too heavy pressure on the logging system, you
might retry with rsbac_nosyslog kernel param. But this is only a
vague guess.

Do you want me to port v1.2.2 to kernel 2.4.27 so you can at least
update your kernel now?