[rsbac] web page

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Mon Aug 9 09:51:35 CEST 2004

On Montag, 9. August 2004 02:44, Bencsath Boldizsar wrote:
> BTW, looking on the web page again, some remarks:
>
> The most important things on the web pages should be:
>
> -Where to download

The link is in the header of each page.

> -How to install for beginners

The Installation and Administration Instructions are linked from the
download pages and the documentation page. I agree that they need
some rework, but they include a step-by-step quick install at the
top.

> -How to upgrade from the latest version

This is a bit more problematic, because it can vary from a simple
reboot to some significant changes in the setup. It was my opinion
that for simple setups the changes, if any, are almost trivial, and
for complex ones there should be sufficient knowledge available to
find the necessary changes quickly.

The only special is the changed syntax for rsbac_jail.

I might be wrong here, I have only done two or three updates of
complex setups without taking notes from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 myself.
Generally, I would appreciate if someone volunteered to maintain such
a document. The Instructions page does give some info for older
versions.

> -How to use (tutorial)

The worst part. There simply is no written tutorial except for the
Beginner's guide at http://linux.ru.net/~inger/RSBAC-DOC.html, which
is linked from the Useful Links page.

There are slides available from my first Linux-Kongress tutorial in
2001 at http://rsbac.org/documentation/lk2001-tutorial-handout.pdf,
they are linked from the documentation page.

The RSBAC books project at books.rsbac.org is meant to provide a
cookbook and all information users or developers might need.
Unfortunately, the main authors have been too busy for a long while.

> It is really not trivial to know what to download, and how to
install it.

I tried to summarize this on the download pages:
"You will need an RSBAC kernel files tarball, a kernel patch for your
kernel version and administration tools in matching versions. Please
also have a look at the bugfixes page to avoid known bugs."

As said above, the step-by-step quick install in the instructions
should help. If you download the pre-patched kernels, you unpack,
config, compile and install like any other kernel. The tools are
unpacked, ./configure'd and make install'ed, like most other Linux
tools.

> For upgrade, I am very unsure of the existence of any in-depth doc
about
> upgrading from 1.2.1 or older to 1.2.2 (new possibilities, what is
the
> secure default for new options for beginners) or 1.2.2->1.2.3.

There is none, only the changes texts in the download section.

> For free software, this kind of 'marketing' is neccessary to reach
people
> "out there".

Fully agreed. All we need are people doing this work. I am not a good
handbook author myself, but would certainly share my knowledge, proof
read and provide the Web space.

The development and maintenance of the code are already very time
consuming, so this must be a task for others.