[rsbac] Re: Hang on boot with 2.6.5

Rob See rob at rsee.net
Tue Apr 20 16:39:58 CEST 2004

Amon,

On Apr 18, 2004, at 6:52 AM, Amon Ott wrote:

> This is an access on pipefs, where unnamed pipes are stored, e.g. when
> using | in bash. It is a mount race and in this case completely
> harmless -
> CLOSE will always work despite this message.
The problem with this is it hangs right after this message. The only
thing I can do is power off and back on, and use softmode for the next
boot.

> So it does work with softmode in this case? That's something new, but
> it
> all depends on timing.

Both cases can be bypassed by softmode.
The close error can be bypassed by delayed_root=254:2 (the /usr
filesystem) but the hang on mount of local filesystems needs
delayed_root=99:99

I assume that you are using delayed init, e.g. because of an initrd.
Does
> it work without initrd and without delayed init?

I am using device mapper/lvm2 (hence the 254 major #) on root, and all
other FS, so I can't not use an initrd otherwise the machine can't
boot.

>> boot. I tried using rsbac_debug_adf_all, but got no more output than
>> with without it. I have not for the life of me been able to figure out
>
> rsbac_debug_stack will show the steps in mounting, there is some debug
> code
> to detect stack overflows.

Using rsbac_debug_stack doesn't seem to print anything more than not
using it.

> What you can do as a test is change your startup script to mount each
> filesystem individually with 1s sleep in between.
I will try this and let you know.

> I have a very similar SMP system here and will run some more test on it
> soon. Could you please send me your .config for these tests?

I will send the .config to you off list.

Thanks,

-Rob