[rsbac] To-Do List for 1.2.3

elvo at virgilio.it elvo at virgilio.it
Mon Sep 29 03:34:21 MEST 2003

From: Samuli K?rkk?inen <skarkkai at woods.iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [rsbac] To-Do List for 1.2.3
To: RSBAC Discussion and Announcements <rsbac at rsbac.org>

[snips]

> > * Paths versus inodes. There are situations where having things based
on
> > purely inodes just doesn't cut it. One of them is encountered when I
try
> > to limit permissions of fetchmail as much as possible. Fetchmail creates
> > file ~/.fetchmail.pid and other than that, only alters the mailbox.
> > Because ~/.fetchmail.pid gets a different inode every time, I can't
use
> > RSBAC to allow fetchmail to create only that file, I must allow fetchmail
> > to create any file in ~. Another case is ~/.Xauthority that gets different
> > inode every time.

hi list,

i readed here for some time ..

i think the better solution to the problem is a an utility to convert ACLs
from internal representation to path names and vice versa.. and possibly
an /etc/rsbac-acl.conf file where you can:

1) save the internal repr. dump for restore after crashes or everything
else;
2) specify special 'dynamic' ACLs that will be assigned on file/object creation
so you can specify here those files created at runtime with ACLs;

then it would be necessary to have an utility to 'compile' this file in
internal repr. and pass the output to a syscall ..

another feature could be integration with a filesystem-monitoring patch
like fam or other things like that to detect an object deletion and restore
the inode-based permissions assigned to the object..