[rsbac] rsbac 1.2.1 - problem with X configuration?

Amon Ott rsbac@rsbac.org
Mon Sep 30 09:20:01 2002

On Sunday, 29. September 2002 17:20, Karel.Divis@worldmail.cz wrote:
>   I cannot run X as a common user with RSBAC 1.2.1, even though the "X
support (normal user ...)" kernel configuration option is on. Error messages
of both X and RSBAC are same as the option was not set.

> X error message:
> *************************************
> (EE) ATI(0): Cannot open /dev/mem
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86MapVidMem: failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
> **************************************
>
> RSBAC error message:
> *************************************
> Sep 29 16:47:02 vltava kernel: rsbac_adf_request(): request
GET_STATUS_DATA, pid 1120, ppid 1119, prog_name X, uid 500, target_type SCD,
tid kmem, attr none, value 0, result NOT_GRANTED by RC ACL
> Sep 29 16:47:02 vltava last message repeated 2 times

Some stupidly designed X servers access kernel memory (!) to generate
random values. All you can do here is either use another X server or assign a
new RC role 'X server' with sufficient rights as initial role to your X
server binary.

http://www.rsbac.org